Dentist conversation questions
- If you have a regular dentist, how did you choose that dentist?
- Do you really think there is much difference between dentists?
- Do you have check-ups every six months/every year/never?
- When was your last visit to the dentist's?
- What is your dentist like?
- Do they play music in the waiting room? What is it like?
- If there are magazines, how old are they? What magazines are there?
- If a colleague had bad breath, how would you go about telling him or her about the problem?
Being a dentist
- What would you think about a career in dentistry?
- What do you think would be the positive and negative aspects?
- What do you think would be the most difficult part of a dentist’s job?
- How long does the anaesthetic take to wear off after the dentist has done some work?
- Some people have fillings and extractions done without anaesthetic because they claim that the after-effects of the anaesthetic are worse than the discomfort of dentistry. What do you think of such a choice?
- Do you have any techniques to help you relax while you are in the dentist’s chair?
- It seems that some people are able to fall asleep during dental work - how do you think they manage that?
- Apart from the discomfort, which of the following do you dislike most at the dentist’s: the sounds, the smells, the sight of the instruments?
- Do you usually ask for your teeth to be professionally cleaned at the dentist’s? How long does it take? Do you ask for anaesthetic with this?
- In your country is dental work paid for by the state or do you have to pay for it yourself? Which system would you prefer?
- Is your dentist expensive? How much does typical treatment cost?
- If you live near a university you may be able to get substantial reductions on the cost of treatment by allowing students to practice on you. What do you think of this idea?
- What are some habits which would protect your teeth?
- What do you think of using dental floss to help clean your teeth?
- Do you think that all toothpaste is the same or are some really better than others?
- What things are bad for your teeth?
- Have you ever used braces to correct you teeth? Describe the experience.
- Some people have gold inserts or diamonds in their teeth. What do you think of this custom?
- What do you think of the increasingly-popular practice of tongue piercing?
- Do you have any fillings? If so, how many?
- Have you ever had a tooth taken out? How long did it take?
- Have you ever had root canal surgery? How would you describe the experience?
- Do you have false teeth, bridges, crowns or implants?
- Some people have teeth which are very sensitive to heat or cold. Do you suffer from this and what solutions have you found?
- Some people with toothache claim that the pain starts to go away the moment they phone the dentist. Have you ever experienced this?
- If you have toothache, what is the best way to treat the pain while you are waiting for an appointment with the dentist?
- Do you put off going to the dentist's until you can no longer bear the pain?
- How long does it take to get emergency treatment in your country?
Teachers may obtain short recordings of dentists' drills by going to findsounds and searching for "dentist".