Sleep and dreams conversation questions
Dreams[edit | edit source]
- Do you usually have dreams? What are they like? Are they stories or disconnected events? What happens?
- Can you remember any recent dream? Can you “explain” it?
- What sort of things usually occur in your dreams? For instance, do you dream about things which happened over the day such as working and studying?
- Do you have or do you know about any recurring dreams? Flying, falling and losing clothes in public are said to be common!
- Do you ever have “lucid dreams”. In other words, do you ever become aware that you are dreaming and then control the dream?
- Do you frequently have nightmares? What happens in them? (If it’s distressing, then you don’t have to answer.)
- Do you think that we can learn anything from dreams? Some people claim that we can learn things about the future from dreams. What do you think about this idea?
- Have you ever had a dream which seemed to come true? What happened?
- When you are doing something during the day, are you ever suddenly reminded of a dream you had during the night?
- Do animals dream or only humans? If animals dream does that mean that they can think?
- Some people claim they have been the victims of “alien abductions”. Were they dreaming?
- In your culture, do specific dreams have a specific meaning? For example, dreaming about pigs in the Korean culture means the dreamer will be getting a lot of money.
- Do you dream in color?
- What language do the people in your dream speak?
Sleep[edit | edit source]
- Do you usually sleep with your bedroom completely dark, or with the curtains or blinds open?
- Do you have problems sleeping if there is too much or not enough light for you?
- Do you have any techniques to help you get to sleep if you have trouble dropping off?
- What techniques do you use to keep yourself awake?
- Do you like to read or watch TV in bed? Does this help you to sleep or keep you awake?
- Why do we sleep? Is it to rest our bodies? - but we could do that sitting in a chair!
- Do we sleep to rest our minds? - but our *subconscious minds keep working!
- Is the purpose of sleep to allow us to dream?
- Do you, or any of your family, sleepwalk? *
- Is it dangerous to wake people who are sleepwalking?
- Do you know anybody who sleeps with their eyes open?
- Do “answers” to problems you have been thinking about come to while you are asleep? Can you think of any examples?
- How many hours do you sleep normally? How do you feel if you don’t get your expected amount?
- Have you ever worked at night? Did you have any problems sleeping the next day? Why (not)?
- Have you ever flown long haul? Where to? Did you get jet lag? How long did it take you to get over it?
- When do you usually go to bed?
- When do you usually get up? Is it the same on weekends?
- How do you usually wake up?
- What’s the longest you’ve gone without sleep? Why? How did you feel?
- A siesta is popular in some countries. Do you take one? What do you think of this custom?
Vocabulary[edit | edit source]